Niemann-pick types a/b
What health problems should I look for in Niemann-Pick disease type B?
Health problems associated with Niemann-Pick disease type B include:
- Enlarged liver and spleen (hepatosplenomegaly)
- Frequent lung infections
- Decreased number of platelets in the blood (thrombocytopenia). Platelets are the blood cells that help blood clot when you are cut or injured.
- High levels of fats in the blood
- Bone problems, including short stature and late mineralizationof the bones (delayed bone age)
- Neurological (nervous system) problems (in about 1/3 of people)