Mucopolysaccharidosis Type VI

Diagnosis and Testing

How do I get tested for Mucopolysaccharidosis Type VI?

To get tested for Mucopolysaccharidosis Type VI (MPS VI), visit a doctor or a genetic counselor near you. Tell your doctor or genetic counselor that you are concerned about a genetic condition like MPS VI. They can help decide if testing for MPS VI is right for you. The first step in testing is usually a urine test to look for certain substances called glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) and to see if a substance called dermatan sulfate is high. At the same time, they may test your blood to check the level of arylsulfatase B enzyme (the enzyme that isn't working properly in MPS VI). These two tests together can figure out if a person has MPS VI. Another way to test for MPS VI is by doing a genetic test that looks for changes in the ARSB gene, which gives the instructions to make arylsulfatase B.

To find a genetic professional near you who can discuss genetic testing, visit the following two sites: A listing of medical geneticists can be found at the American College of Medical Geneticists website ( and genetic counselors can be found on the National Society of Genetic Counselors website:

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Continue Find out more about our use of cookies and similar technology

This content comes from a hidden element on this page.

The inline option preserves bound JavaScript events and changes, and it puts the content back where it came from when it is closed.

Remember Me