Hirschsprung disease


What specialist doctors should I see with Hirschsprung Disease?

Someone with Hirschsprung disease will most likely have to see a surgeon to remove the part of the colon that does not contain nerves. The colon, or large intestine, is the last part of the digestive system and transports digested food and liquid from the small intestine to the rectum. If constipation or incontinence occurs after surgery, the patient may need to see a gastroenterologist, who treats issues with the stomach and intestines. They may need a laxative or rectal therapies. It also may help to increase the amount of fiber you're getting through your diet. To find a surgeon or gastroenterologist speak with your or your child's physician for a referral.

"Hirschsprung's Disease" National Organization for Rare Disorders. 2005. https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/hirschsprungs-disease/#standard-therapies

"Hirschsprung Disease" National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Jul. 2013. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/hirschsprung-disease/Pages/ez.aspx

Ask a ThinkGenetic Counselor, January 13, 2017

This content comes from a hidden element on this page.

The inline option preserves bound JavaScript events and changes, and it puts the content back where it came from when it is closed.

Remember Me