Glycogen Storage Disease IV

Inheritance

How did my child get glycogen storage disease IV?

Glycogen storage disease IV (GSD IV) is inherited as an autosomal recessive disorder. This means people with GSD IV have genetic changes on both copies of their GBE1 gene. If you have a child with GSD IV, that means both you and your partner are "carriers" of a single genetic change that can cause GSD IV. Carriers do not have GSD IV themselves, but can have children with the condition if both parents pass the genetic changes on to their children. When two carriers of GSD IV have children, there is a 1 in 4, or 25% chance for each pregnancy to have GSD IV, and a 3 in 4, or 75% chance the child will not have GSD IV.

SOURCE: Emory University - Department of Human Genetics in collaboration with ThinkGenetic • https://www.thinkgenetic.com/diseases/glycogen-storage-disease-iv/inheritance/4776 • DATE UPDATED: 2016-06-16

References

This content comes from a hidden element on this page.

The inline option preserves bound JavaScript events and changes, and it puts the content back where it came from when it is closed.

Remember Me