Glycogen storage disease type III
How is glycogen storage disease type 3 inherited?
Glycogen storage disease type III (GSD III) is an autosomal recessive disorder. This means people with GSD III have genetic changes on both copies of their AGL gene. If you have a child with GSD III, that means both you and your partner are “carriers” for this condition. Carriers of a genetic condition do not have GSD III themselves, but can pass it on to their children. When two carriers of GSD III have children, there is a 1 in 4, or 25% chance for each pregnancy to have GSD III, and a 3 in 4, or 75% chance the child will not have GSD III. Speaking with a genetic counselor, a health professional who specializes in genetic conditions, can help people to understand the chance to have a child with GSD III. To find a genetic counselor near you, use the "find a genetic counselor" tool at the National Society of Genetic Counselors website
- Dagli A, Sentner CP, Weinstein DA. Glycogen Storage Disease Type III. 2010 Mar 9 [Updated 2012 Sep 6]. In: Pagon RA, Adam MP, Ardinger HH, et al., editors. GeneReviews® [Internet]. Seattle (WA): University of Washington, Seattle; 1993-2016. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK26372/