Fragile X syndrome


What specialist doctors should I see with fragile X syndrome?

Because individuals with fragile X syndrome often have varying degrees of developmental delay, it is recommended that they see a Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrician. It is also recommended that they seek additional guidance from a physician and/or clinic with experience with fragile X syndrome to coordinate their overall care specific to their diagnosis of fragile X syndrome. A list of these clinics can be found at the National Fragile X Foundation website by visiting

Additional specialists that an individual with fragile X syndrome may need to seek support from include:

  • Occupational Therapist
  • Physical Therapist
  • Speech and Language Therapist
  • Behavioral Therapist
  • Psychiatrist
  • Neurologist, if seizures are present
  • Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist, if chronic ear infections are present
  • Gastroenterologist, if GERD, loose stools, or other GI concerns are present

Kidd, Sharon A., et al. "Fragile X syndrome: a review of associated medical problems." Pediatrics 134.5 (2014): 995-1005.

This content comes from a hidden element on this page.

The inline option preserves bound JavaScript events and changes, and it puts the content back where it came from when it is closed.

Remember Me