BRCA1, familial breast-ovarian cancer susceptibility 1


What specialists do people with BRCA1 gene mutations need to see?

People with Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer (HBOC) syndrome should be managed by a multidisciplinary team with expertise in caring for people with this condition. The team may include specialists such as a gynecologist, a medical oncologist, a breast surgeon, a gynecologic oncologist, a specialized nurse practitioner, and a genetic counselor. Some cancer centers may have specific programs for individuals with hereditary cancer risk.

People with HBOC syndrome should see a genetic counselor. A genetic counselor can help to further explain HBOC syndrome and answer any questions. A genetic counselor can also help to make any appropriate referrals to specialists. Genetic counselors in the United States can be found on the National Society of Genetic Counselors website. Genetic counselors in Canada can be found at the Canadian Association of Genetic Counselors website.

SOURCE: Emory University - Department of Human Genetics in collaboration with ThinkGenetic • • DATE UPDATED: 2019-07-09


This content comes from a hidden element on this page.

The inline option preserves bound JavaScript events and changes, and it puts the content back where it came from when it is closed.

Remember Me