Is there a treatment(s) for Alagille syndrome?
There is no cure for Alagille syndrome. However, the different symptoms of Alagille syndrome can be treated as best as possible in each patient.
- Liver symptoms may be treated with medicines or surgery to make the liver work better. A liver transplant might be needed in those with severe liver problems.
- Heart symptoms treated and monitored by a cardiologist, and treatment depends on the type of symptoms. Some patients may require medicines, surgery or a heart transplant.
- Kidney symptoms are treated by a nephrologist based on the type of symptoms.
- Eye symptoms rarely need any treatment.
- Butterfly-shaped vertebrae rarely need any treatment.
- Growth and developmental delays can be partly treated by making sure the child is eating nutritious food and getting enough fat-soluble vitamins